05 June 2009

I eat critters.

At the beginning of the year, I made a New Year's resolution to eat as many different cuts and critters as possible this year.  I made an admirable start, but have at least partly fallen off the wagon and resorted back to cuts of beef and pork.  I'll try harder!!!

I do have one limitation to my resolution, and to all of my critter consumption activities - I try very hard not to eat anything endangered.  It doesn't seem friendly to eat the last dodo bird.  Then no one else gets to eat any.  I like to share my meat.

For fish, in particular, this is tricky.  In your average sushi place, there are easily 20 different types of seafood.  How do you remember which ones are fished unsustainably, or farmed in rude fashion.  Greenpeace?  Nope, they're nuts.  PeTA?  Even nuttier.  Here's a nice, reality-based resource, run by the Monterey Bay Aquarium, that will keep you educated about what you can eat without worrying that you're contributing to the end of a species.  They've got all kinds of organized lists, and give you as much or as little information as you want.  Check 'em out, and print out their list.  Bring it with you when you're out shopping or eating.

I was particularly happy to see that scallops were on the good fish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment