12 October 2009

Smoked apple crisp

apples

I recently joined the Outdoor Cooking Guild, and the first challenge was to use apples on the grill. I just returned from a weeklong vacation, so had to put something together rather quickly (I confess, I returned from the vacation a bit tired - aren't we supposed to be well-rested after a vacation?). Anyway, what's easier than a nice crisp?

I started making the crisp topping before grilling main course:
¾ cup rolled oats
¾ cup brown sugar
a touch less than ½ cup butter
¼ tsp cinnamon
Mix the dry ingredients.

crisp topping

Cut the butter into the dry ingredients and set aside.

Meanwhile, peel, seed and chop 3 apples into small chunks. Fire up the grill, aiming for around 375°F.

peeled apples

Toss the apples with:
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp vanilla
Immediately prior to putting on the grill, pour the topping over the apples.

assembled crisp

Put on indirect heat, toss a few wet chunks of hickory onto the fire, close the grill and smoke for 10-15 minutes, or until the sugar is nicely caramelized and is bubbling nicely.

smoking crisp

Serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream, or by itself. Fast. Easy. Simple. Delicious.

serving the crisp

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To be honest, I even could not imagine how hard it is to find decent piece of info on the above topic. It took me a couple of hours before I came across your site. <a href=

Post a Comment