01 July 2010

Tokyo vending machines

I *love* Tokyo.  This is a food city.  I would just wander around, then look for a small restaurant with the longest line, inevitably leading to deliciousness.

Tokyo also has beverage vending machines everywhere.  Not surprising, given that it's about 96% humidity and pretty damn warm this time of year.  It's gotta be a public health issue to keep folks hydrated.  And what fun, most of the things in the machines are unrecognizable to an ex-pat Canuck.

The vending machines are tucked into all kinds of weird corners.  Check these ones out, on the driveway to a parking garage.

Vending machines in Tokyo

The vending machines are filled with all kinds of crazy things. What to try first?  How about this milk tea:

Milk tea

A nice, refreshing tea.  Cool and sweet, but not American-style super-sweet.

Or soymilk tea.

Tea

Richer in flavour, more like a mild version of chai, but still very refreshing.

Then there was this H2O drink.

Not water

Don't be fooled. This is not water. I bought it when hot, sweaty and exhausted, and guzzled it thinking I had purchased water. It was some mild fruity thing. But try as I might, I did not find this refreshing. Dehydrated as I was, I drank half of it, and dumped the rest. That mild fruity flavour was revolting.

But, you know, weird stuff in vending machines?  Neat.

2 comments:

Hiroyuki said...

Vending machines are everywhere in Japan, not just in Tokyo!

I can live without all those "sports drinks" (Pocari Sweat, Acquarius, DAKARA, etc., etc.), but I can't live without mugicha (roasted barley tea)!

Indirect Heat said...

I hope to some day have the opportunity to poke around other parts of Japan. I loved Tokyo, and the tiny bit of countryside I saw between Tokyo and Narita Airport. I hope to return, and explore more of Japan. I *loved* it there.

Post a Comment