03 February 2011

Spice Station

Spice station

Clearly, I've been traveling more than cooking lately. But I've been finding some cool places in my travels. In Silver Lake in Los Angeles is a several block stretch of funky comic shops and our favourite coffee shop - Intelligentsia (can you believe I've never written about Intelligentsia? That will have to get remedied). On our most recent visit, we found a parking spot a couple blocks away, and pulled up in front of a bright blue and orange sign proclaiming "Spice Station". Well, you know I had to go in there.

This is a neat little spice and tea store. This is a place you can wander around and sniff the the individual containers, before requesting your order to be doled out in the back. I walked out of there with a bright red Turkish pepper called Marash.

Marash pepper

With a bright, spicy smell, I'm sure this is going to be fun as part of a beef or pork rub. I also picked up urfa biber, another Turkish pepper with a smoky smell.

Urfa biber

Both of these are new discoveries for me, and Spice Station lets you discover all kinds of spices, in easy open and sniff bottles. What fun. If that's your thing, they also have a website where you can shop, but really the best part of this place is that you can sniff each spice before you buy.

Spice list

Visit them in Silver Lake.

3819 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90026
323-660-2565
Open Mon, Wed, Thur and Fri 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sun noon to 5 p.m.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment