23 May 2009

A lazy Saturday calls for...

... a martini!  

A thyme martini, that is.

This martini is one of my favourites.  It's one I discovered in graduate school in Houston in the late 90s, and it's followed me through 3 cities over ten years.

This martini is a simple one if you have easy access to fresh thyme (I grow it in a pot in the backyard specifically for this martini):

3 oz good quality gin (I use Bombay Sapphire)
3/4 oz green chartreuse
sprig thyme

Mix gin and chartreuse, shake in a martini shaker with ice, and strain into a martini glass.  Crush the sprig of thyme (to release the nice flavors and scents) and drop into the glass.  Serve.  The flavour of the gin, chartreuse and thyme mix perfectly.  This seems an obvious mix, as the flavours of all 3 are complementary.  Perfect on a hot afternoon or a cool evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment