01 September 2009

Boar Ribeye with Port Grape Sauce

Raw boar medallions

In my continuing adventures in eating new and unusual protein - I bring you boar. Boar medallions, that is.

This was a bit of a lazy dinner. We had boar in the deep freeze, and I didn't want to go to the grocery store for ingredients, so I threw something together with stuff we had around the house:
1 cup port
1 shallot
25 seedless grapes (green or red)
1 dried ancho chile
1 tbsp sriracha
2 tsp sherry vinegar
1 tsp agave syrup (or simple syrup)
salt
pepper
Start with some shallots. Fry them until they've darkened a bit.

Shallots

Meanwhile, toss a few grapes into a saucepan with the port and the ancho chile.

Grape reduction

Boil until the sauce reduces and the grapes break open. You want this sauce to be reasonably thick.

Reducing the port

Add the shallots. Meanwhile, fry the ribeye medallions in the shalloty oil, just a couple minutes until done.

Boar medallions

While the medallions are frying, add the seasoning (hot sauce, vinegar, salt, pepper) to the grape/port reduction, and fish out the ancho chile. Remove the medallions from the pan, and move them to the plate. Deglaze the pan with the sauce, and serve a dollop of sauce next to your medallion of boar.

Port grape reduction

The taste was quite nice. My wife would have preferred a more refined sauce (blend and sieve), but I enjoyed the chunky grapes and shallots in this sauce. The boar medallions were indistinguishable from pork, so I wouldn't buy them again, but I'll be playing with port reductions again.

No comments:

Post a Comment