13 August 2009

Blackberry thyme crisp

Blackberries

What a wonderful world we live in. This is the best of times for home cooks. (Due to the awesome power of the internets, it's possible that it's also the best time ever to be a model train hobbyist, but I digress).

I recently discovered the absolutely fantastic bbq/foodie blog Livefire. His interests are basically the same as mine, cooking good food using fire, or whatever else is available. (It seems to me that most serious bbq bloggers do pretty purist bbq). Anyway, I was taken with his newest post, blackberry thyme crisp, and knew I had to try it as soon as I read it. So here we go:

Mix:
1 quart fresh blackberries
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
3 tbsp turbinado sugar
6 sprigs lemon thyme
juice from ½ lemon
Blackberry sugar mix

I have several varieties of thyme (primarily to play with in my favourite martini). I thought lemon thyme would go best in this dessert, though I think Curt at livefire used English thyme.

Lemon thyme

Now make a topping of:
½ cup rolled oats
38 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup brown sugar
4 tbsp melted unsalted butter
Yum. Put the fruit in a small baking pan (I used a small breadpan). Sprinkle the topping on the fruit, and place on a *screaming* hot grill (mine got to 400°F) smoking with a tiny bit of wet hickory, for about 20 minutes, or until the crust is browned, and the fruit is bubbling.

Blackberry crisp

Does that not look crazy good? Scoop up and serve, most deliciously with vanilla ice cream.

Blackberry crisp

This was savory, sweet and delicious. My wife would have preferred it with a bit more sugar. I thought it was perfect as is.

2 comments:

Curt McAdams said...

I'm not sure how I missed this, but great looking photos... You just had to put mine to shame, didn't you? :) I'm glad you enjoyed it and glad to hear I have readers!

P.S. I actually have a few things for the Outdoor Cooking Guild coming up.

Indirect Heat said...

Thanks, I appreciate it! That blackberry-thyme crisp was a hit.

Post a Comment