16 July 2009

Sweet Sauteed Onions

How many recipes do you have to cook from a book before you declare the book a *raging* success? I'm just about there with Adam Perry Lang's new book Serious Barbecue. I've already made a modification of his brisket. It was freaking fantastic. And now I've done his fajitas, which I will post on shortly. As an accompaniment to fajitas, I've made his sweet onions. They go great on fajitas, on burgers, and most recently on grilled bratwurst. I think you'll agree they're pretty outrageous. All right, let's go!
1-2 sweet white onions
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp finely ground fresh black pepper
2 tbsp unsalted butter
6 garlic cloves, zested
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
Peel and slice the onions to make rings. Sautée the onions in oil. As they soften, add the thyme and sugar. Continue as the sugar melts, browns, and covers the onions. This is yumminess here. Add garlic, salt and pepper. And butter on one side of the pan (until it melts). Mix all of this delicious ridiculous mess. When the onions are soft and browned, deglaze the pan with the vinegar. Set aside and keep warm for the fajitas/burgers/bratwurst.

Sweet onions

I think you'll agree these look and taste crazy good.

2 comments:

KirkK said...

Hey BBQ Dude - Looks great. I use Mirin for deglazing, it adds a nice sweetness a depth of flavor.

Indirect Heat said...

That sounds awesome. I'm making this again tonight for bratwurst, I'll have to pick up some Mirin on the way home.

Post a Comment