02 July 2009

Champagne mango sorbet

Champagne mangoes are popular in southern California. They're smaller, smoother and sweeter than regular mangoes and bright yellow in colour. They're available in Asian grocery stores and in Costco of all places.

I've started bringing the extra ice cream and sorbet that I've been making in to work. It's largely a way to prevent me from gaining thirty pounds in the next six months. Most recently, one of my co-workers requested that I make a champagne mango sorbet. She even offered to peel the mangoes for me. How could I say no?

So she brought me this bucket o' mangoes:

Mango to puree

And I went to work on it. Straight into the food processor, to make a nice purée o' mangoes. So here's the recipe for two quarts of ice cream (modified from Perfect Scoop).
4 champagne mangoes
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
4 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice (really, use freshly squeezed - bottled lime juice is the suck)
2 tbsp dark rum
pinch o' salt
I made double this recipe, so I had to pour out the mango purée into a bowl to work with it. Mix it with everything else. Let it sit in the fridge overnight to chill it before running it through your ice cream maker.

Mango going in the ice cream machine

Run it through the ice cream maker, as per your ice cream maker's instructions (for the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment, mix it for about 25 minutes in an ice cream maker that's been in the freezer for the last 24 hours). Then toss it in your freezer to fully harden.

Mango sorbet

What a refreshing dessert. Sweet. Velvety in your mouth (really!). And fresh. This is great for a July 4th weekend bbq. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment